Habitat for Humanity offers low-income families the opportunity to own a home. Becoming a Habitat homeowner requires commitment, responsibility and deep involvement.
In order to partner with us, you must meet the following preliminary criteria:
- You must be a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States.
- You must have lived or worked in our county for at least 12 months. Affiliates for other vicinities can be found at habitat.org.
- Your yearly income must fall within our income guidelines, which are adjusted for family size. Income includes wages, Social Security, disability, SSI, TANF and child support.
- You must have one year of continuous income.
- You must have a reasonably good credit history. It must be at least two years since you discharged any bankruptcies, and you must be making payments on your debts.
- You must have a need for housing because your current housing is unaffordable, unsafe, or overcrowded.
- You must partner with Habitat for Humanity and contribute "sweat equity," helping to build your home as well as other families' homes, and attend a minimum of 10 educational workshops. All families must complete a total of 200 hours.
If you meet these criteria, then please email us for more information.
During the open enrollment period, you must call our office 419-355-1257 for a brief pre-screening phone interview. If eligible for our program after the pre-screening phone interview, an application appointment will be scheduled. A list of required documentation will be provided prior to the application appointment. We will assist in completing any form we require to be considered as a future homeowner. Our Homeowner Selection Committee will be available to answer questions throughout the enrollment period and application process.
Our enrollment period for all 2023 projects is closed and the selection process complete. The next application period for homes being built in 2024 will be open February 19-March19, 2024. Please visit our 2024 Application Timeline and Homeowner Application pages for further information.